the girard cruickshanks

the girard cruickshanks
beautiful photo by Ed Wang

Friday, March 2, 2012

Our Beloved Jimmie

Sept 5, 2005 - Feb 29, 2012
 I would like to pay a tribute to my beloved cat, Jimmie. He was a very important character in my life. Yesterday, February 29, 2012, we found our beloved Jimmie lying in the street. Unfortunately, there was nothing to do to save him. We are not sure how he passed. It didn't look like he had been run over, so we like to think he died protecting our home. At least in my mind, my Jimmie died a hero.

I will always keep him in my memory. He was not the best cat. He was spunky and adventurous and rebellious. He drove me crazy sometimes and caused my family a lot of trouble, but it was all worth having him. My mom always threatened to kick him out or give him away, but she never managed to do it. I never thought that he would not be here. I always imagined him living forever, or at least until I went to college. It seems weird that he's not here. It doesn't seem like it sometimes because he was very secretive and liked to do things by himself. Earlier today, I was sitting and looking outside, and I saw the tags move on the chair and I thought it was Jimmie. I don't know when I will really accept that I'll never see Jimmie again. I know he will always be in my heart and I will love him even more.

Understanding that anything can happen makes my other cat, Kallie, even more special to me. I have been petting her and loving her as much as I can. She looks for him sometimes and hasn't eaten as much as usual.

I think the hardest part is accepting that he is not here anymore. It doesn't really make any sense to me. One day, I'm very happy, and the next I'm in despair. I now have a new understanding that anything can happen. I have been off and on crying lately. Sometimes I'm fine, then I suddenly remember he's gone.

Jimmie is to be cremated and then buried in my backyard.

I would like to give special thanks to Kristin, who bought me my Jimmie cat earrings and bought Norah an Angel Jimmie doll, and to all those who have comforted me lately, especially my mom.

I know that soon it will be much easier to think and talk about Jimmie. I will always feel sad and miss him, but something good is bound to come out of this.

Thank you all so much, and Jimmie, I will love you forever!
Love, Kacey


6 comments:

  1. Having a pet die is always a difficult thing to go through. I've outlived many pets, but perhaps the most significant pet that I remember was my first cat, Brea.

    Brea was a very young kitten when I brought her home. She was given her spaying too soon, and this led to her dealing with asthma. It was sad to have to give her a shot every month to help her breathe, but in the end, it was giving her a better quality of life. She was a happy kitten, always running around and tearing up any toilet paper or paper towel she could find. Her favorite toy was a scrunched up ball of aluminum foil. She would knock the ball around the house and chase it for hours.

    But when I left the city I was in to go back to school, I had to leave Brea behind. My sister took care of her for a while, but then had to find a new home for her when she also moved. I don't know what happened to Brea, but I imagine she found a good home to live, and with some luck, is still knocking around a ball of foil in someone's house, although probably much slower than she did before.

    Perhaps the best thing for pets who are no longer with us is to tell their stories. This keeps the memory of them alive and helps us deal with their parting.

    You've written a wonderful tribute to Jimmie. He was lucky to have such a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. Our kitty Noelle recently passed as well. She was a sweet girl. Puck, our other cat, looked for her for the longest time and every time he did we cried a bit. Be strong and remember the happy moments you shared with Jimmie. By sharing your memories of him and your feelings about his passing you've given the rest of the world a chance to know Jimmie, and so he'll live in our hearts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, K. This is a beautiful tribute, and I know you will give him a proper burial, full of the love and memories he deserves. Love you and sending virtual hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comforts and stories. It helps me a lot, even though I still miss him.

    Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keira, sweet love, I remember when you got Jimmie! Didn't you get him when you were coming here for day-care? I think so because I sure remember your doll Jimmie, and I think you named your cat after your dolly, right? I feel so sad that Jimmy is gone, but he isn't really as he will always live on in your heart and your thoughts and memories, both good and stinkeroo-ish (I didn't realize he was sometimes a mischievous little one!) I know no-one can replace him, but if you ever want to come snuggle my new little puppy to make you feel better, please come on over! She gives great kisses and I KNOW she will love you!!! Her name is Penny Lane.
    Keira, you are a tremendously talented writer! That is a gift! I am so happy that you love to write---I have always loved it as well. Have you tried poetry yet? Well, you should know that the letter you wrote about Jimmie is truly a poem because it is so heartfelt and beautiful and expresses all of your current emotions so well. I am sure that writing about your little Jimmie will help you heal, as well as reading the responses that people will send you. Maybe people will have good advice that may help you through this hard time. Mostly know that we all love you and our thoughts are with you. You are such a sweetheart! All my love to you and your whole family! From Margaret, and from Justin and Johnny too!

    ReplyDelete