the girard cruickshanks

the girard cruickshanks
beautiful photo by Ed Wang

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Excerpt Chapter 1

Hey guys! I'm sorry I haven't blogged in such a long time. What I am publishing now is an excerpt from the story I'm writing. It is the beginning of the first chapter, and I will post more later. I have only edited this part once, changing the speech tense and some of the minor details, and will definitely continue to edit it more. Please let me know what you think in the comments! I would love to hear any and all of your thoughts, critiques, and ideas. Enjoy!
Thanks!
K

The Crooked Path by Kacey Levi



Chapter 1



        Light streams in through the open window. I can see Ezelma's dainty shape curled up under the threadbare quilt in the other bed. Realizing that I’m not going to fall back asleep, I get up as quietly as I can. The dresser drawer groans in protest as I gingerly open it. I grab my clothes and wince as the floorboards creak beneath my feet. I have never learned how to be quiet, and today I am as clumsy as ever. Finally, as the door squeals open, my sister complains.
         "Juniper, be quiet! You're so loud! I’m trying to sleep, thank you very much,” she mumbles. My sister is always grumpy in the morning. Of course, if my brother tried to sneak out of the house, he could do it without making a peep. Not that I am sneaking out, I do this every weekend. And my parents know about it. I just can never manage to be quiet.
         I whisper an apologetic, "Sorry!" to my sister, and then hurry down the stairs.
         As usual, I am the first one up. The old clock on the wall says that it is 5:30 in the morning. I have always been an early riser. I quickly write a note telling my parents that I am going to the river. This isn’t necessary because that’s where I always go, but I know they appreciate it. The river is where I meet my friends Lily and Matteus.
        I quickly grab a piece of bread from the cabinet, lace up my old leather boots, and run out the door.
     

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Look forward to more of this. Linda Z.

    ReplyDelete